Sour Blonde #5 – 5/7/17

This is my fifth attempt at a long-aged blonde sour. The other four are not ready, will need blending, or need may need fruit added. Thankfully I was able to actually keg my first long-aged sour, which as 10 months in the making. I liked it so much, I decided to save the dregs for another beer. My fifth blonde sour was born.

The initial dregs used were bottles from Beachwood Propagation Series #128, Ladyface Vallis Aurea, Libertine Wild IPA, My Brett Claussenii IPA, and a growler with Lacto in it. It was probably my weirdest sour attempt as no commercial yeast was pitched, but thankfully it worked out.

This time instead of leaving the beer on the yeast/bacteria for the duration of the souring process, I transferred it to another carboy and purged the headspace with CO2 after. In the future I think it would be better to ferment in a bigger primary vessel with a larger amount so by the time it gets transferred to a secondary, the beer will go all the way to the top of the carboy (I recommend not using plastic buckets as oxygen will slowly get in through the plastic, causing off flavors later on).

Lastly, I didn’t mash quite as high as I’d liked (I mashed in at 154F, but rather have been closer to 158F) because I was using a portion of this for a quick hoppy sour, but 154F is still decent.

Video of the brew day:

Recipe:

Batch Size: 2 Gallons
OG: 1.051
SRM: 4
Est ABV: 5%-ish
IBUs: 0
Boil Time: 60 Min

Malt:
(77.6%) – 2-Row
(15.5%) – Flaked Wheat
(6.8%) – Acid Malt

Mash:
154F for 70 Minutes

Yeast:
US05
WLP005 slurry
Slurry from this: https://barleyandthehops.com/sour-black/

Here’s what went down:

Brewed 5/7/17

5/9/17: Activity.

5/13/17: Transferred to a secondary and purged the headspace with CO2.

9/23/17: Tasting good. Gravity at 1.005.

11/25/17: Tasting really good. Wine like, fruity, delicious.

1/20/18: Pulled a gallon off and put onto one mango (de-skinned, cut up, and frozen for a week first). Kegged the rest (2 gallons or so).

2/15/18: Transferred the 1 gallon off the mango to a secondary. Some re-fermentation happened. Mold grew on top of the mangos. Next time want to try a puree

3/11/18: Cold crashed the mango one.

3/19/18: Bottled the mango one with .2 g champagne yeast.

4/1/18 Results:

2 Comment

  1. Dan says: Reply

    when you say .2g Champagne yeast, was that just dry yeast in the bottle or was it a small starter slury for the whole gallon

    1. Jason says: Reply

      That is the dry yeast.

Leave a Reply