Runoff Session Sour – 10/21/16

I’ve done a couple runoff beers, which is taking the second runnings and making a second lower strength beer from it (also known as parti-gyle). I love the idea of getting two beers from one mash for a number of reasons, the main one getting to do stupid stuff with the second runoff without any real consequences fiscally.

This second runoff from the Tree House Julius Clone IPA is going to be a sour. I don’t have a sour fermenting count, and I’m too lazy to go and count them all right now, but it’s somewhere in the 12 range, with three of them being 3 gallons. I really like I built that amount up for possible blending/it’s very unlikely not every one of them will turn out great.

There is a slight caveat to this in that I wasn’t that great in taking notes for this. I actually have been pretty good at taking notes as of late (efferting), which in the past I’ve been known to not and mess things up. For this I’m not sure how much more water I added to the grain for the second runnings. I know I started with a pre-boil of 1.25 gallons at 1.031, so I’m guessing I added maybe 2 more gallons? I will also add that 1.031 seems a bit high in gravity for second runnings when the first runnings where 1.051 pre-boil, so who knows. Let’s just roll with it.

Recipe:

Batch Size: 1 Gallon
OG: 1.036
SRM: 4.5
Est ABV: 4%
IBU: 7
Boil Time: 20 Min

Malt:
(81.5%) – 2-Row
(7.4%) – Flaked Oats
(6.5%) – Acid Malt
(2.4%) – Carapils
(2.2%) – Honey Malt (25 L)

Mash:
60 Min @ 151F

Hops:
.005 oz Simcoe (13% AA) @ 15 Min

Yeast:
US-05
Slurry form grown from Humulus Terreux bottle dregs
WLP677 Lactobacillus Delbrueckii

Here’s what went down:

Brewed 9/17/16:

Took over 1 gallon second runoff from the Tree House clone IPA mash. The gravity was at 1.031. Boiled for 20 minutes, added the hops with 15 minutes left, gravity was at 1.036 after the boil.

Cooled to 80F, added US-O5 slurry from a previous batch and a vial that contained slurry previously grown from Humulus Terreux bottle dregs.

Keeping this in the garage with day temperatures reaching over 90F.

9/18/16: Activity.

9/26/16: A pellicle has already formed.

10/1/16: Made a starter for the WLP677 Lactobacillus Delbrueckii…mainly so I could save or use the other half of the starter for a future beer.

10/6/16: Put the starter in the fridge to cold crash.

10/21/16: Added most of the Lacto starter (saved some for a later use).

2/25/17: Gravity at 1.008. Really nice Brett funk on the nose, maybe slight rubber, but more on the “horse blanket” side. No acidity at all to speak of. There is a slight melon thing going on though. This is pretty young as far as sours go, so this definitely needs more time.

9/23/17: Gravity at 1.008.

12/3/17: Blended with this one 1:3 (this one was the 1 ratio).

12/17/17 Tasting notes:

Leave a Reply