The Red Sea (Gose) #3

Gose is an interesting style. I have not really done one without screwing it up or changing it with fruit, aka, turning it red. I keep hearing people call it “gos” but the actual pronunciation is “gose-uh” as in “rose” plus “uh”, but the argument could be made then for Berliner Weisse being pronounced “Bear-leeh-nuh Vice-uh”. So fuck it, call it what you want.

A friend and I have been trying to turn a Gose red for a few batches just so we can name a beer the Red Sea. It’s the little things. For the grain profile in the past, we have used Special B, CaraRed, Crystal 60 and 80 in various combos, all with very little success. It usually ends up being too dark or just brown.

As far as the grain profile goes for this one, I ran across a grain called Red X that can be used up to 100%, and according to the description makes “red-tinted wheat beers” when used with wheat. We wanted to give the “redness” a fighting chance, so we used almost 50% of it.

But to get this red, like really red, I figured we were gonna have to manipulate it with fruit. I personally was done with making shitty brown one dimensional fast sours. I recently did my first kettle sour “the right way”, but this Gose was done incorrectly after gaining knowledge on how to properly fast sour.

Recipe:

Batch Size: 3 Gallons
Target OG: 1.048
SRM: 8.2
Est ABV: 4.8%
IBU: 13
Boil Time: 60

Malt:
51% – Wheat Malt
49% – Red X

Hops/Spice:
.30 oz Santiam (6% AA) @ 60 Min
.60 oz Coriander Seed @ 10 Min
.30 oz Salt @ 10 Min

Yeast:
WLP672 Lactobacillus Brevis
WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch

Here’s what went down:

Brewed 7/18/15

4 gallons collected at 1.030. Kept in the kettle and Lacto pitched with heating blanket set on high.

7/19/15: The pH didn’t taste like it dropped in the morning. 5pm transferred to a plastic bucket and put the heating blanket around it. The average temp in the chest freezer during day was low-90s, night mid-80s. The pH had dropped and tastes pretty sour. 8 hours later it tastes sour enough. That’s 50 hours of Lacto contact.

7/20/15: Boiled, added hops, salt, coriander, pitched Kolsh yeast and set chest freezer to 72F.

7/21/15: Very minimal activity in the morning.

7/26/15: Good fermentation until about now. Fermented too high, 72-74F, should have been closer to 66-68F. Set freezer to 66F.

7/28/15: Fermentation seems done. Maybe slight activity still.

8/1/15: Transferred 1 gallon onto 3 pounds of cranberries whole, dethawed, and slightly mushed up in the bag first. Even though I had read that cranberry can create more of a mouth puckering tartness, I used a lot of it anyway to make sure the red really came through.

8/6/15: Transferred the 1 gallon on cranberries into a tertiary. It’s super red and super astringently tart. Hmmm.

8/17/15: Set the cranberry one to 55F.

9/20/15: Bottled both.

10/3/15 Tasting notes:

Cranberry one: Way too tart and astringent. One dimensional. I would use only .5 pounds of cranberries per gallon and only one day or less. I would also make this with the regular Gose/Berliner grain profile and use the proper quick Berliner sour technique. I’ve heard of isovaleric acid or butyric acid being created without the proper CO2 blanket and/or early lowering of pH to 4.5, but we never have had that by miracle, but there is definitely a harsh astringent thing that happens.

Side note: I don’t have tasting notes for the non-cranberry of this beer, but seeing how this one turned out, I’m sure it was very one noted and not great.

Leave a Reply