Pumpkin Beer Mashed in a Pumpkin #2

For the last two years I’ve been getting a bit more inspired by halloween, so much so, I mashed in a pumpkin for a beer last year! The result was nice, and I convinced myself that I had tasted the pumpkin in it. A friend who tried it also said he could taste it, but again he knew there was pumpkin in it. I have a feeling in a blind taste not knowing that it would be hard to detect.

Last year the main issue I had was keeping the mash warm as the pumpkin soaked out the heat extremely quickly. The solution this year was to put into my oven for the duration of the mash. The lowest my oven goes is 170F, so the plan was to turn it on and off every 20 minutes or so.

The other change I made was the recipe. This one I wanted to make darker, closer to a brown ale or a märzen. Seems to me these darker color beers represent the base for modern pumpkin beers. I will say though that most pumpkin beers are just spiced and no pumpkin is actually added, but I have heard of some breweries toasting some and adding it to the mash.

I never fail.

Brew day:

Recipe:

Batch Size: 1 Gallon
OG: 1.050
SRM: 25
Est ABV: 5%-ish
IBU: 20
Boil Time: 5 Min

Grain profile:
2 lbs (87%) – 2-Row
2 oz (5%) – Caramunich
1.5 oz (4%) – English 77
1.3 oz (3.5%) – Carafa III

Mash:
60 Min @ 150F

Hops:
20 IBUs worth of Bru 1

Yeast:
WLP001

Here’s what went down:

Brewed 10/27/18

I set the BeerSmith program to BIAB, mashed in…annnnd the pumpkin I chose this year was too small. Last year it was too big. Whiffing. After mashing in, I still hit 150F, so it ended up ok there.

I then put it in the oven and turned off and on the oven a few times for 60 minutes, but it still dropped below 150F. I think keeping the oven at 170F the whole time would be ok for the next attempt at this.

I used a strainer to filter the grain from the wort after the mash was done, and finished the brew day.

11/23/18 Tasting:

Leave a Reply