Foreign Extra Stout #1 (Dark Grains Added at Beginning of Mash)

I made a chocolate stout without the lactose back in 2015. A year later I attempted a full-blown chocolate milk stout. I figured I might as well keep going. Also if I had to categorize my favorite styles, stouts are my favorite behind IPAs and sours.

When I was searching around to find different kinds of stouts to make, I ran across two variations I wasn’t that familiar with. One was a tropical stout, and the other was a foreign extra stout. They are both in-between a regular stout and an imperial stout, with the main difference being a tropical stout is more fruity, and the foreign extra stout is still on the dryer side, yet packs a little more of punch than a regular dry stout. To be honest, if I blind tasted a regular dry stout, tropical stout, foreign extra stout, and an imperial stout, I might have a hard time picking out which was which, so I’ll leave all that to cicerones and BJCP judges (could they blind taste the difference too though is the real question).

I have been playing with mash techniques with dark grains, with most of the time these days adding them after the mash has converted. I don’t know that I could really detect a difference, so I decided to add them at the beginning of the mash as a bit of an experiment. I then re-brewed this adding the dark grains after the mash had converted to see if I could tell a difference. It should be noted that I did not test or adjust the pH on this one, so it could be a bit of an unbalanced test as I adjusted it for the next one.

Video of the brew day in case the above rambling wasn’t enough:


Batch Size: 1 Gallon
OG: 1.072
SRM: 48
Est ABV: 6.9%
IBU: 57
Boil Time: 70 Min

2 lbs (61%) – Maris Otter
6.0 oz (11.6%) – Flaked Oats
6.0 oz (11.6%) – Flaked Barley
3.5 oz (6.7%) – Crystal 120L
2.5 oz (4.6%) – Carafa III
2.5 oz (4.6%) – Roasted Barley

60 Min @ 155F

.20 oz East Kent Goldings (5.5% AA) @ 60 Min
.20 oz Amarillo (8.2% AA) @ 30 Min
.20 oz Amarillo (8.2% AA) @ 5 Min

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III (Slurry)

Here’s what went down:

Brewed 12/22/16:

Collected 2 gallons pre-boil at 1.036. Just under 1g of Calcium Chloride. After a 70 minute boil got 1 gallon at 1.072.

1/8/17: Transferred to a secondary.

1/15/17: Bottled with .55 oz of corn sugar.

2/15/17 Tasting notes:

I cover it all above, but figured I’d still write about it a little. There is some slight diacetyl to this, but it’s not as much as I thought initially…more like a slickness. It’s also more ashy and astringent than I’d like. Having a BJCP judge taste it, he thought it was ok, but noticed the flaws above as well.

I made a second version of this putting all the dark grains after the mash had converted.

Leave a Reply