Butterbeer 2018

It’s that time of year again. The annual butterbeer. I’ve been making this for the last few years, and I have yet to perfect it. I think I have the process down, it’s just the serving part that needs work.

Last year I purposely added a bunch of diacetyl by cooling the beer purposely cooler and never raising temps. I think there was diacetyl in the beer, but that could be because I was looking for it. I then added 5 teaspoons of buttershots schnapps at bottling to further boost it.

While it actually turned out pretty good, the body wasn’t soft enough. The real way to make this right would be to serve it on nitro. That was the plan for this and the main change. I also decided to add just the schnapps at kegging and not do the forced diacetyl attempt. It was mostly done just to see if I could do it.

Brew day:

Recipe:

Batch Size: 1 Gallon
OG: 1.056
SRM: 4
Est ABV: 5%-ish
IBU: 0
Boil Time: 0 Min

Grain profile:
(80%) – 2-Row
(20%) – Flaked Oats

Mash:
60 Min @ 154F

Yeast:
Wyeast London III

Here’s what went down:

Brewed 12/1/18

Pulled off a gallon from a 2 gallon batch, pasteurized it, and cooled it and pitched the yeast.

12/26/18: Added 15 teaspoons to the keg and put it on nitro. I added 5 teaspoons last year, but this year I kept adding more to taste, and that was the amount for some reason.

12/30/18 tasting:

Leave a Reply