IPA (Back to the Drawing Board)

Here it comes. The reign of my IPAs. It’s football season, so that means mass quantities of IPAs coming my and your way. Sorry not sorry? I will try and diversify them as much as possible with hop variety, but sadly I only have access to certain ones at the store, unless I buy them online, which I keep threatening to do yet never do because I’m scared of something going wrong with heat during shipping even though I’m sure it’s fine.

The last IPA I did was pretty bad, which I think had to be a yeast issue as the hop profile didn’t seem too weird on paper…then again paper is known to be flammable. I was so frustrated that I decided to bring it back to the drawing board with my favorite hop profile. That little dank and pine mixed with the citrus Amarillo brings really melds well together. It’s a match made in heaven. Three peas in a pod. Three to tango? Three’s company? I’ll stop.

For the grain I just kept it the same as I have been for the most part. I’m liking adding flaked oats and/or barley. It adds a little layer of meatiness (a little New England IPA-ish) that has been working for me.

I have been recently trying to dry hop as much as I can warmer as that can speed up aroma extraction, but I recently have heard of homebrewers taking it one step further and dry hoping under pressure in a keg before fermentation is complete. The beer is transferred to a keg before terminal gravity is reached, and a spunding valve is used to vent CO2 pressure as the final stages of fermentation happens. I have yet to build a spunding valve, but for now I will continue to keg warmer at the very least, and maybe if I’m feeling weird throw a few PSI on it for a few days. Uh oh, I’m almost trying my best!

Recipe:

Batch Size: 2 Gallons
OG: 1.058
SRM: 4.5
Est ABV: 6.3%
IBU: 109
Boil Time: 60 Min

Malt:
3.75 lbs (73.8%) – 2-Row
8.0 oz (9.8%) – Flaked Barley
8.0 oz (9.8%) – Flaked Oats
5.3 oz (6.5%) – Acid Malt

Mash:
60 Min @ 149F

Hops:
Boil
.50 oz Columbus (15.3% AA, Leaf) @ 45 Min

Hop Stand (170-150F)
.15 oz Columbus (15.3% AA, Leaf) @ 30 Min
.15 oz Amarillo (7.8% AA) @ 30 Min
.15 oz Simcoe (13.3% AA) @ 30 Min
.25 oz Amarillo (7.8% AA) @ 15 Min
.25 oz Simcoe (13.3% AA) @ 15 Min
.35 oz Amarillo (7.8% AA) @ 1 Min
.35 oz Simcoe (13.3% AA) @ 1 Min

Dry Hop (70F for two days)
1.00 oz Amarillo (7.8% AA) @ Kegging
1.00 oz Simcoe (13.3% AA) @ Kegging

Yeast:
US-05

Here’s what went down:

Brewed 8/27/16

1g of Calcium Chloride to the mash. Brought the wort to 170F before adding the first steeping hops. By the last addition it was at 150F.

IMG_8683

8/29/16: Good fermentation right away. Fermenting at 66F. I used a fresh pack of US-05 and think that helped. I had been reusing older yeast.

9/7/16: Transferred to the keg with the dry hops. Keeping it at 70F.

9/9/16: Put the keg in the cold chest freezer at 36F to carbonate.

9/17/16 Tasting notes:

This turned out nicely. It had a bit more citrus than I was expecting, but I’m totally fine with that. The only knock to it was it wasn’t quite bitter enough. I have been getting good results using lower temp hop stands, but I think I need to raise it above 170F if I want that bitter bite I’ve been lacking a little. I haven’t had one, but I imagine this is very similar to what New England IPAs are like…juicy and oily without the bitter hop bite, not quite what us West Coasters like me are used to though.

I didn’t get to see if this got better as my keg had a leak on the out line and I lost a third of the beer. Nearly shanking my keg aside, I was at least able to enjoy some of it before that dog poop happened (it’s cool though, I’m not still annoyed or anything).

Leave a Reply