A Brett Experiment

It has been said that brett, with more initial carbohydrates (aka, malt) will produce more esters, where as if it has less, it produces more “funk”. I have actually done this (sorta) by fermenting with brett as the only fermentation. I will say, while I didn’t necessarily get more esters, I didn’t get any funk.

I wanted to put this to the test by doing a split batch. One of which is adding brett two days into fermentation, and another is adding a sacc strain two days into a brett fermentation.

That little of time I wasn’t sure anything would happen, but the results were interesting.

Brew day:

Recipe:

OG: 1.054
SRM: 4
Est ABV: 5%-ish
IBU: 24
Boil Time: 60 Min

Grain profile:
(80%) – 2-Row
(20%) – Unmalted Wheat

Mash:
60 Min @ 155F

Hops Steep:
(24 IBUs) Pekko (18.5% AA) @ 45 min

Yeast:
Crossmyloof Real Ale slurry
WLP645 Brettanomyces Claussenii

Tasting:

Leave a Reply